“What is it like to be in love?”

“Free. It feels free, like there’s nothing that can stop me, nothing can hold me down.
It feels as if I can do anything because of love and I’m free of the fear of failure because,
even if I can’t do everything, at least at the end of the day,
there’s still me and him. When all else fails, love won’t.”

Reign on Me series

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

[00OH5] Day Five

words: 1055
rate: PG
(Fifth day of the O Henry series.)


Day Five: I want a lucky rabbit's foot!

Wednesday marked the middle of SJ-M’s vacation in Canada. It was close to noon when Donghae approached Henry who was now dusting a singular Ming vase in the ground floor’s hallway. Donghae came up to Henry and just squatted by the vase’s table. Elbows propped on his knees and his hands cradling his face, he stared up at Henry as the younger man continued to dust the vase.

After five minutes of complete silence, Henry sighed heavily and lowered the duster and looked down at Donghae, “Yes, hyung?”

“I’m hungry,” Donghae replied,

Henry blinked, “Oh… ‘kay… You know you can just go grab whatever’s in the kitchen and pantry, hyung. And I’m pretty sure my sister made heart-shaped cookies last night with your face on them she did out of icing…”

“Kyuhyun ate those,” Donghae sighed,

“But… he had his cookies last night,” Henry stated,

“I know,” Donghae replied with a slight shake of his head, “Do you think the manager hyungs would notice if we left Kyuhyun here in five days?”

Henry laughed as he crossed his arms loosely, “And subjugate Canada to Kyuhyun? No way, hyung.” He placed the duster by the vase and started walking down the hall, “Come on, hyung, let’s go see what’s in the kitchen.”

Donghae straightened to his full length and followed Henry to the kitchen. He sat on a stool by the kitchen’s island while Henry opened and closed cupboards, the fridge and even disappeared into the pantry for a few minutes. When he came out, his hands were on his hips,

“Is something wrong?” Donghae asked,

“There’s no food,” Henry explained. He looked around the kitchen, “Is this my house? How can there be no food?”

“Probably because Kyuhyun was up in the middle of the night eating.” Henry and Donghae glanced over as Ryeowook entered through the door from the living room. When they both stared at him confusedly, he explained, “Um… he said something about working up an appetite.”

“Working up an appetite? He hasn’t done any…” Donghae stopped immediately and looked at Henry who paled considerably,

Henry blinked, “I’ll kill him! I let him have my bed last night because he said his back was hurting!” Henry made a leap for the door but Donghae restrained him by simply grasping some of his t-shirt. “Hyung, let me go!”

“He’s sleeping and you know if you wake up Zhou Mi too, he will not be happy,” Donghae stated matter-of-factly,

“I don’t care what Zhou Mi ge does! He did the same thing that… I don’t even want to think about what they did!” Henry exclaimed,

“Just wait until they… um… come down,” Donghae insisted, “Please, Henry? I’m really hungry.”

Henry sighed heavily, “Fine… if I don’t feed you my parents will kill me.”

“Not to mention the E.L.F.s,” Donghae added,

Henry winced as Donghae released his hold on him, “Well, I’ll have to go out to get us some food. Anything particular?” When Donghae and Ryeowook both began listing off foods, Henry held up his hands in a Shiwon-like gesture to silence them, “Why don’t you both come with me?” Donghae nodded when Ryeowook looked at him nervously. “What’s wrong?”

“I… I want to but… I don’t know how to use a gun,” Ryeowook explained.

“What?”

“I don’t know how to use a gun. My parents never thought it a necessity for me in everyday life in Korea,” Ryeowook replied simply.

Henry literally sunk into a squat, his arms crossed over his knees and his face buried in the circle his arms created. His muffled words came to them, “I don’t think I even want to know.”

“I do,” Donghae said jovially as he patted Henry’s bowed head. He then looked at Ryeowook, “What does using a gun have to do with getting food?”

“Well… to get food you… you have to go and hunt… with a gun,” Ryeowook’s eyes jerked between Donghae and Henry, “And shoot the animal… don’t you?”

“ARGH!” Henry exclaimed as his arms moved to wrap over his head instead of encircling it.

Ryeowook’s eyes widened as he switched his attention from the seemingly pained maknae to Donghae, “D-D-Don’t they?”

“DONGHAE!” Henry whined,

Donghae patted Henry’s head as he looked at Ryeowook, “No, Ryeowook, they don’t.”

“But… Canadians… they need… they need to hunt for their food and they…” His head was swinging up and down as he switched his attention between the other two members, “They shoot birds and caribou… and rabbits… and-”

At this point a string of muffled English words, presumably swear words, were coming from Henry as Donghae placed his hands over the younger man’s ears. “Ryeowook,” Donghae hissed, “Canadians have grocery stores like Korea does.”

“They do!?” Ryeowook gasped, his jaw literally dropping in surprise. Almost immediately, his expression dropped and a small pout formed, “But I wanted a lucky rabbit’s foot…”

Donghae’s hands must not have been secured over Henry’s ears, for another string of muffled English came from him. Eventually, Henry straightened to his full height; doing it so fast that Donghae stumbled backwards with surprise. Landing on his backside on the ground, Donghae watched as Henry headed towards the kitchen door,

“Where are you going?” He asked,

“I know where Ryeowook got his information from!” Henry declared, “And I don’t care anymore – I’m going to wake up Kyuhyun and throw him out of my room! After…” he paused in the doorway, “I burn my sheets…”

They watched as Henry ran off, disappearing into the main hallway. However, it was only a few seconds before there was a loud crash and an even louder ‘O CANADA!’ following it.

Heading towards the door, both Donghae and Ryeowook heard a cry, “NOT THE MING!”

Ryeowook looked at Donghae, “So at Canadian grocery stores, what are those like?”

“Well,” Donghae began, throwing an arm around Ryeowook’s shoulders, “The bigger grocery stores are like ours that have all kinds of foods; but those are in the bigger cities. Everywhere else, all they sell is maple syrup.”

The younger man’s eyes widened considerably, “Really? Maybe we’ll get to see one of the small stores today!”

Donghae nodded as they entered the hallway, spotting Henry kneeling before shards and shards of broken vase; “We should get Kyuhyun to come; he seemed to know a lot about Canadian grocery stores!”



(Day Six: I'm in the zone, but...)

2 comments:

followurdestiny said...

O CANADA XD
LMAO...

james said...

Nice to read the story. we can only realize the need of the person only in their absence.