“What is it like to be in love?”

“Free. It feels free, like there’s nothing that can stop me, nothing can hold me down.
It feels as if I can do anything because of love and I’m free of the fear of failure because,
even if I can’t do everything, at least at the end of the day,
there’s still me and him. When all else fails, love won’t.”

Reign on Me series

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

[00r7] Anything for Him

words: 1511
rate: PG

It was if the light had left his life.

It was as if the sun had to rise every morning, but the warmth and light it provided would not – could not – penetrate his consciousness. His life. It was if he couldn’t get warm enough, as if he couldn’t escape the loneliness, the coldness… the darkness.

Sighing heavily, he plopped down onto the bed and looked at the paper in his hands. He had read it hundreds of times over the past few hours since he returned to the dorm and yet he still could not understand the words. No, more like he refused to understand them.

“He’s leaving me?” He shook his head and read the short message again, “No… No… Not after everything we’ve been through… Not after everything we’ve shared. No, I cannot accept this!” He crushed the letter in his hand and jumped to his feet.

He ran to the bedroom door, pulling it open.

“Sungmin-hyung!” Kyuhyun called out.

Ryeowook appeared, “He’s out.”

“Damn… I need someone to drive me somewhere,” Kyuhyun muttered, slamming a fist against the wall.

“Heechul-hyung is in their dorm. I’m sure he’ll drive you if you ask nicely,” Ryeowook suggested, although his tone implied that such a scenario was not that reliable.

Kyuhyun dashed to the door, pulling on his sneakers as he did so, “I know… it’s a long-shot… but I can’t lose him.”

“Him?” Ryeowook blinked, “Zhou Mi-sshi?”

Kyuhyun nodded,” I’ll do whatever it takes to get him back.” He stood up to his full height, tapping each toe against the floor to assure a tight fit on his shoes. He wretched open the door, “Even if it means going on my knees and begging Heechul-hyung.”

“You might want to bribe him with –” Ryeowook sighed as this dongsaeng already slipped out the door, “– Beijing Fried Rice.

Kyuhyun couldn’t bother with the elevator, it would take forever just waiting for the carriage to arrive. He ran to the closest stairwell and took the stairs three at a time. He made it to the other dorm in record time, his fist pounding and pounding against the door. It opened and Kyuhyun lunged at Heechul who happened to have opened the door.

He grabbed his hyung by both shoulders, “Hyung! Please! I’m begging you!”

“Whoa, calm down and think before you speak,” Heechul said, brushing away Kyuhyun’s hands, “What’s wrong with you? Is that how you greet your hyung?”

Kyuhyun shoved the letter at Heechul and began pacing as his hyung scanned the short letter, “He’s leaving me hyung… he’s leaving me and… and I just don’t know what to do anymore. I need… I need to get down to the airport and stop him… tell him not to leave me… I need him to know I love him that… that I’ll do anything to keep him here.”

“He’s running away to China? That bastard,” Heechul mused lightly as he walked over to a rack of key hooks and pulled off a ring. He slipped on loafers and opened the door, “C’mon, Kyuhyun. It seems you also have a Chinaman to haul back.”



The drive was quiet and tedious. Heechul said nothing, merely turned on the radio. As he drove as fast as he dared, everyone once in awhile, he would glance towards the younger man. He sat straight in his seat, every muscle and line of his body tense. One hand on his knee drummed an unpredictable rhythm, but it was agitated and spoke of his dongsaeng’s inner thoughts and feelings.

Damn’, Heechul thought. He put the car into fifth gear and sewed his way through traffic. ‘Whatever it is he did, Zhou Mi… forgive him. We can’t lose another one…

“I’ll bring him back hyung,” Kyuhyun said then, as if reading the older man’s thoughts, “I won’t let him get away… I won’t let him leave. I’ll apologize and apologize. I’ll hold on to him so he can’t board the plane. I’ll hold on to him forever if it’s the last thing I do.”

Heechul smirked as he drove. He took a sharp right and sped down the back road, “You’re a good kid, Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun’s hands fisted atop his thighs, “I don’t even know what I did… I need to know at least that much before he tries to leave.”

Heechul said nothing and returned to navigating their way to the airport as fast as possible.



Upon arrival, Kyuhyun practically burst from the car, Heechul close behind him. Kyuhyun raced to the board where all the flights were listed, finding Zhou Mi’s flight and gate number just as Heechul caught up to him. He broke into a mad dash, his hyung just a step behind him the entire way. He prayed to God that his celebrity status would get him past all the checkpoints without too much trouble.

He ran hard and fast, his heart pumping madly, his muscles moving in beautiful synchronization with each movement. He ran as fast as he could through each checkpoint, Heechul staring down every worker that even tried to get in their way. Kyuhyun could hear his blood drumming in his ears, could recite each word of the letter by heart. Whatever it was he did wrong, he would get Zhou Mi back.

The intercom system went on as Kyuhyun and Heechul rounded a bend. It called for final boarding to a flight to Beijing. Kyuhyun didn’t know where, but he got another boost of energy and pumped it to his feet, begging for them to move faster. He caught sight of their destination, saw the rising of a tall, lanky Chinaman from a seat. The man began to walk and he called out to him,

“ZHOU MI! DON’T LEAVE!”

The Chinaman frozen and spun around, catching Kyuhyun in his arms just as the younger man launched himself at him.

“Kyuhyun, what are you doing here?” Zhou Mi asked, straightening the other man immediately. He looked past him, “And Heechul-hyung.”

“Whatever it is I did to hurt you… I’m sorry… I apologize. I’ll never do it again,” Kyuhyun insisted, grabbing him tightly by the upper arms,

Zhou Mi knocked his hands away and folded his arms over his chest, “Oh really?”

“Yes,” Kyuhyun promised, eyes narrowing dangerously, “I’ll do anything to keep you, Zhou Mi.”

Zhou Mi raised a single eyebrow, “Oh? Even give up Starcraft?”

Kyuhyun flinched, “Mimi! Really?”

“I should ask that of you…” Zhou Mi narrowed his eyes, “But no. Just… stop leaving me in the middle of the night to play videogames,” he shot Heechul an accusatory look.

“Wait… Wait, wait, wait, WAIT!” Heechul held up a hand and approached the couple, “This whole little fiasco was because of the night Kyuhyun joined me, Sungmin and Kibum to play a videogame?”

Kyuhyun glared at Zhou Mi, “You’re leaving me because of Starcraft? That game that night wasn’t even Starcraft!”

Zhou Mi blinked, “I never said I was leaving you.”

“Then what the hell was your note about? Suddenly leaving Korea! What else was I supposed to think?” Kyuhyun demanded, shoving the letter at the writer,

Zhou Mi rolled his eyes, “I said I had to leave Korea immediately, I didn’t say I was leaving you. One of my cousins is having a baby and my mom called me home. I’ll be back in a few days.”

“So… you’re not leaving me?”

Zhou Mi laughed as he shook his head, “Of course not.”

“And… I don’t have to give up Starcraft?”

Zhou Mi pursed his lips before finally muttering, “No.”

“Thank God for that,” Heechul murmured, “No way am I letting Donghae join our group again.”

“Oh Kyuhyun,” Zhou Mi pulled him into a fierce embrace, “Did you really believe for even a moment that I would leave you?” He grinned happily, “And for you to come running after me!”

“Ugh… I somehow feel you worded your letter weird just for this to happen,” Kyuhyun retorted trying to pull out of his arms, “C’mon Mimi… your flight will leave without you.”

“Not even a goodbye-kiss?” Zhou Mi asked with a bright smile and bubbly tone,

“Not unless you want me to ignore you while you’re gone,” Kyuhyun muttered, managing to pull away from the other’s embrace.

“Ah, I guess I can’t win them all,” Zhou Mi said as he picked up his bag again. He turned to leave and then turned back to Kyuhyun, “On more thing.”

“Hmm?”

Zhou Mi grabbed his chin with his free hand and swooped in for a brief kiss. He grinned as he turned to head to the gate, “I guess this is one game you’ll never win!”

Kyuhyun sighed and waved as Zhou Mi left. The door shut behind him and Kyuhyun turned to leave, “Let’s go hyung.”

Heechul glanced over his shoulder at the screen beside the now closed door that read ‘Seoul to Beijing’. His eyes paused over the last city. Then he turned to Kyuhyun, smiled and wrapped an arm around his shoulder.

“Let’s go destroy some aliens, Kyuhyun.”



...

Companion piece for I Love You More. & Really, sometime we need our little revenge when games seem to win out every time.

5 comments:

rrongrrong said...

awww i never thought it was fluffy at first, so intense in the beginning then turns fluff in such an ease:D

lil_aqua_chic said...

Oh kyu u silly bum <3 and mimi... devious! <3 <3 <3

Heather said...

I really enjoyed this! The Qmi was silly. Kyu can be so dramatic ^^. Though at the end I got all misty about Heechul.
Well done!

Anonymous said...

That was funny =)
I first thought that "Woah, this is getting serious..." and then read the first piece and understood.. Bwahaha, really enjoyed this one ^^

Anonymous said...

‘Whatever it is he did, Zhou Mi… forgive him. We can’t lose another one…’

Why does this sound so sad...? *sobs* I miss Hangeng and HanChul so much. T-T